I’m happy to announce the print/paperback version of C++ Lambda Story! After more than a year of updates and smaller changes, the whole project is completed! You can now purchase the book in lots of different formats. See details of this major update and also take part in a giveaway and get the book for free :)

Changes

Last time the book had 149 pages, and with this recent update, it’s now 158.

Notable changes:

  • Index at the back of the book.
  • Nice diagrams for the lambda syntax.
  • An extended chapter about top lambda advantages.
  • New section about refactoring with IIFE.
  • A lot of layout changes and fixes for better print quality.
  • Code samples have their separate repository - see at github.com/fenbf/cpplambdastory-code.

Background

On my website, you can read at least five extensive articles that describe all the essential parts of lambdas:

Have a look if you haven’t read it before:

I packed my knowledge about lambdas into a beautiful ebook, with lots of examples and additional descriptions. And just as with my book about C++17, I made it available at Leanpub. The platform makes it easy for me to publish new updates, and everyone who has the book can immediately access the latest changes (at no charge). Also, the platform allows you to read it as PDF and Epub, Mobi or Online.

As the final step, I made the book available in Print on Amazon.

Here’s the list of the things you can learn:

  • C++9803 - What was the motivation for the new C++ feature?
  • C++11 - Early days: You’ll learn about all the essential aspects of lambdas and several tricks you might apply. This is the longest chapter as we need to cover a lot of topics.
  • C++14 - Updates: See how to use generic lambdas and captures with an initialiser.
  • C++17 - More improvements, especially by handling this pointer and allowing constexpr. You’ll also learn how to leverage the overloaded pattern.
  • C++20 - In this chapter, you’ll see all of the new features adopted for C++20 like template lambdas and how to use them with concepts and constexpr algorithms.

I completed the ebook version in Nov 2020 and spent the recent weeks adjusting that for the print version.

Amazon KDP makes it easy to publish this book in Print on Demand form. The book has 163 pages (print version), and Amazon needs around 3$ to print it and then it takes 40% of the revenue. The rest 60% is for me, and it’s almost the same as my royalty portion from the minimal price on Leanpub.

Here’s a work-in-progress version from January :) On top, there’s the final front cover.

The book is printed in Black&White. Here’s a sample screen:

You can buy the book here:

Full Color Version

Additionally, I also created a full-colour version with a nice syntax colouring and images. The price is much higher than the black&white version (33.99$) though. It’s because of the Amazon printing cost 13$ vs 3$. But my royalty portion is the same in both versions.

Here’s a link if you’re interested:

Your Feedback

I appreciate your feedback and support! The book has now almost 1400 readers (and only four refunds)! That’s not too bad I think :)

One refund comment even mentioned:

“I wanted a print version.”

So here it is :)

Add your feedback/review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53609731-c-lambda-story

You can use this comment site:
https://leanpub.com/cpplambda/feedback

There are also several reviews:

Or write a direct email to me: bartlomiej DOT filipek AT bfilipek DOT com

How to Get the Book and Join Almost 1400 Readers?

There are several options:

You can also download a free sample which contains almost 60 pages (available from the Leanpub page)!

Giveaway (Ended)

I have three copies of the Print Version of Lambda Story (Black&white print, assuming Amazon.com can reach your destination), if you want one, then please add a comment below this article and answer one of following questions:

  • If you’re a beginner user of lambdas: Where do you plan to use them?
  • If you already have some experience: How do you use lambda? What’s your most common use case?

I’ll randomly pick three winners and contact them. Make sure I can see your email address from your GitHub profile or have some other way to contact you.

(I’m using utteranc.es commenting system which is based on GitHub issues (see a separate repo with discussion for cppstories.com), so you need to have a Github account and authorise this small and safe bot, read more here.

The giveaway is valid till next Sunday 14th Feb (So it’s ended now…)